Friday, March 2, 2007

Environmentally friendly Malaysians?

The facilities are great.


But the mentality? Here's paper thrown in a bin marked 'plastic.'


And plastic stuffed in a bin marked 'paper.'


These pictures were taken on Friday noon at Ikano Power Center at Kota Damansara KL, a happening place frequented by the educated and the rich.


Apathy clearly cuts across social lines.

I commend Ikano and Ikea for encouraging public awareness of recycling by walking the talk. I think they deserve an award.

3 comments:

Poh Si said...

Hi Bryan,
I'm Poh Si, the director for theCICAK, a Malaysian political and pop-culture webzine.
http://thecicak.com

I'm so glad to have stumbled upon your blogsite. You're exactly what we're looking for - a Malaysian who blogs about environmental issues.

I like this post very much. Would you mind if we re-post on our site, and link it to yours?

theCICAK gets anywhere between 16,000 to 40,000 hits a day. I think our readers would be very interested in what you have to say.

Drop me a line at:
pohsiteng at gmail dot com

Poh Si
http://thecicak.com
http://pohsi.com

Bryan said...

Hi Poh Si,

I sent you an email. You are welcome to link or report my articles. Anything I can do to help.

Bryan

~*~*~pretty petals~*~*~ said...

the main prob here is the labeling is also not that friendly. i was at the IGEM and i saw the 3 bins. i stand infront and wonder which bin is for what. but i couldnt figure it out. after wondering around, then only i noticed that the labels were on the bin it self. that means it is not with in the eye level. not everyone would spend 15mins to search for the tag. so, yea.. if only they could make it easy. not to say that its wrong to put the labels on the bin but they should also consider putting the labels at the wall for people to see.